December 11, 2013
Frozen Peppermint Strawberry Cake
For a decadent holiday dessert, try this cake blending AZ with chocolate and peppermint.
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• ¾ teaspoon baking powder
• ¾ teaspoon baking soda
• Dash of salt
• 1 egg
• ¼ heavy cream
• ¼ cup milk
• ¼ cup canola oil
• ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• ½ cup boiling water
• 1 pint Strawberry Arctic Zero, slightly softened
• 1 cup crushed peppermint candy canes
• ½ cup melted dark chocolate
1. To make the cake, whisk the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
2. In another bowl, beat the eggs, cream, milk, canola oil, peppermint extract, vanilla extract and boiling water.
3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a standard 9 x 9 square cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
5. Pour the chocolate cake mix into the pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 35–40 minutes.
6. Let cool completely for at least an hour. Once cooled, spread the Strawberry Arctic Zero over the cake.
7. Freeze overnight to set.
8. Once frozen, defrost for a few minutes. Then sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Carefully drizzle melted dark chocolate over the cake and serve!